Tuesday, August 30, 2016

My Struggle With Adverbs

Hello.

My name is Doug, and I am an addict.

It's been four days since my last adverb.  Already I find my fingers itchy, desperate to type that beautiful "-ly" at the end of of a word.

Adverbs are not inherently bad; I know this.  Used in moderation they are descriptive and poetic.  But I know I can never use just one.

Sure, it starts with a "softly" or a "wryly".  But before you know it the adverbs are spilling off of the screen and I wake up in a pile of my own vomit, staring at the page I have written in my stupor:

"Hi there," said Fred breezily.
"Hello," Jennifer replied flatly.
Frowning, Fred delicately inquired, "Is everything okay?"
She sighed.  "I guess," Jennifer answered despondently.

Friends don't let friends abuse adverbs.  I need your help.

It's a struggle, but if I can get through today without an adverb, I know maybe I can do the same again tomorrow.  And then the next day.  And the next.

One sentence at a time, my friends.  One sentence at a time...

1 comment:

  1. I can try to get the kids to kick you every time you use an adverb tonight. That way it will help you with your little dependence problem and also be educational for the kids as language training, and also it will be amusing.

    ReplyDelete